Joe Maher stands ready to help good people in difficult times. Joe knows exactly what you are up against. Standing up to criminal or DUI charges will be one of the most trying times you will face in life. You must have a team standing next to you prepared to fight with the skill and determination to win. Maher & Maher Law PC is that team.
Joe served as a prosecutor in El Paso County Colorado for five years prior to starting his own defense practice. In this role, Joe served as a front-line supervisor for Deputy DA’s prosecuting DUI cases. He also served on the DA’s Vehicular Homicide. There is no replacement for a lawyer’s ability to analyze a case as both a prosecutor and a defense attorney. Joe has soundly developed these analytical capabilities having tried more than 60 jury trials to verdict as a deputy district attorney and private defense counsel. Not only is Joe an accomplished trial lawyer but he has worked intentionally to develop specific DUI defense capabilities that are rare within his field:
- Joe has successfully completed the Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST) and Detection course that DUI officers must complete.
- Joe has successfully completed the SFST Instructor Development course that the most experienced DUI officer complete.
- Joe has successfully complete the Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE) course that advanced DUI officers must complete.
- Joe has successfully completed the Axion Laboratories Forensic Chromatography course in Chicago, IL. This is the testing method Colorado forensic laboratories use to test a driver’s blood specimens for blood alcohol content (BAC).
Prior to earning the title Attorney, Joe earned the title Marine Officer. Joe attained the rank of Captain, commanding two platoons and a company of Marines during three deployments to Iraq. He was awarded the Marine Corps Association’s Chambers award for leadership following his company command tour. Joe also served on the staff of U.S. Senator Chuck Hagel as a deputy legislative assistant for military and veteran’s issues.
Joe’s experiences as a trial attorney, military officer, legislative staff member, and combat veteran have forged an unapologetic and unwavering respect for the U.S. Constitution and an ardent belief that the rights enshrined within it must be defended at the level of the individual citizen.
Joe is thankful for his wife and sons. He and Kimberly are the proud parents of FOUR boys. Joe is an avid hockey player and youth hockey coach
Practice Focus: DUI, DWAI, Felony DUI, Vehicular Assault, and Vehicular Homicide
Licensed to Practice Law, Colorado Attorney Registration 44798:
– Colorado State Court
– Colorado Federal Court
Attorney Work History:
2017 to Present: Maher & Maher Law PC
– Founder and Partner
2011 to 2016: Deputy District Attorney 4th Judicial District
– 2016 to 2014: District Court Prosecutor and Vehicular Homicide Team member
– 2011 to 2014: County Court Front Line Supervisor, Line Deputy District Attorney, and Student Intern
– 4th Judicial District Trial Hound Award Winner
Law School Education:
University of Denver Sturm College of Law; Juris Doctorate 2012
– Scholastic Excellence Award: Trial Practice, Lawyering Process, Corporations
– Managing Editor DU Criminal Law Review
– Outstanding Advocate, Student Trial Lawyers Association
– Criminal Procedure Teacher’s Assistant
Military Service United States Marine Corps:
– 2006 to 2009: Captain, Active & Reserve Duty. Company Commander and Executive Officer
– 2001 to 2004: 1st and 2nd Lieutenant. Platoon Commander
– Three OIF Iraq deployments from 2004 to 2008
– Combat Action Ribbon
– Chambers Award Winner (Marine Corps Association MCA)
– Junior Officer of the Year (Reserve Officers of America Association ROAA)
– Light Armored Reconnaissance Leaders Course Tactics Award Winner
University of San Diego; Bachelor of Accountancy 2002